The 2017 edition of the FINA/ airweave Swimming World Cup to have a series of innovation incorporated to draw a bead on attracting more stars and improve the exposure and visibility of this event.
With these innovative concepts, FINA wants to enhance the World Cup’s status as the most important swimming event outside the frame of the FINA World Championships and FINA World Swimming Championships (25m).
President of FINA Dr. Julio C. Maglione says “Our goal in always to organize great events with the presence of our stars.”
Scheduled to be held between August and November, competition in 2017 (in 25m-pool) will comprise nine legs in accordance with the following circuit:
|Cluster 1||Cluster 2||Cluster 3|
|Moscow (RUS), August 2-3||Doha (QAT), September 22-23||Beijing (CHN), November 10-11|
|Berlin (GER), August 6-7||Dubai (UAE), September 26-27||Tokyo (JPN), November 14-15|
|Eindhoven (NED), August 11-12||Hong Kong (HKG), September 30 – October 1||Singapore (SGP), November 18-19|
Here are some of the main improvement points to be implemented:
- Direct Access for Olympic and World Medalists to the final events
- Maximum of 25 events per leg – over a three-leg cluster, each event (i.e. 50m breast, 200m back, 400m IM, 1500m free…) is swum twice and up to six times during the Series;
- Increase in the Prize Money Awards for each race
- Maximum of 4 individual races (plus relay) per swimmer/ per leg
- Better sports presentation and TV production
- Additional activities on site which are promotional and involves the participating stars
- End of each day will hold a Medal Ceremony, in the form of a Parade of Champions
These new features received favourable feedback from athletes and coaches.