Did you start swimming to burn your extra fat and lose weight? Are you still worried about achieving your weight loss goals? Stop fretting and get started with a low-fat Indian vegetarian diet to lose weight. It might be difficult sticking to the goal of losing weight when you have to take the extra stress on your body with swimming along with following a diet plan that comprises bland food not suiting your taste buds. Though you have to give up eating some of your favorite food items, there are multiple choices available for vegetarians to lose the “extra fat”.
Best Weight Loss Food
Some of the Indian vegetarian foods that contain the necessary amount of vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, proteins and essential fats while boosting up the body’s metabolic rate and helping in weight loss are:
- Brown Rice – It has a lower glycemic index, more fiber and nutritional value than white rice which is rich in carbohydrate. Having a less quantity of brown rice makes you feel fuller which means your food portion size is controlled that helps in losing weight
- Cucumbers – It has low calories and high water content. It wouldn’t add extra calories, but will fill your stomach
- Whole Grains – It has all the necessary constituents required for maintaining a good health i.e. from proteins, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants to phytochemicals. It has low fat and high fiber content.
- Nuts & Seeds – It is a storehouse of vitamins, minerals, omega-3 fatty acids, proteins and fiber. It reduces bad cholesterol, improves good cholesterol, keeps the heart healthy, strengthen brain functioning and bones. Nuts & Seeds that can be included in a vegetarian diet are almonds, peanuts, walnuts, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.
- Soya Products & Beans – Including soya products and beans in your diet will provide soluble fibers that would process fats in your body. Some food products in this category that reduce appetite and increase metabolic rate are kidney beans, black beans, soya beans, chickpeas, baked beans, lentils, etc.
- Leafy Vegetables & Spinaches – It is best for weight loss as it has high water content, low calories at the same time improves digestion and metabolism rate. Some of the best leafy vegetables are basella, fenugreek leaves, mustard leaves, cabbage, broccoli, lettuce, etc.
- Garlic – It is a popular herb for controlling appetite and helps to lose weight in a healthy manner
- Low- Calorie Fruits & Vegetables – You can’t ignore them! They have ample quantities of vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants and essential nutrients that not only enhances metabolic rate, but is majorly responsible to keep your body fit and healthy. Including fruits and vegetables like mushrooms, tomatoes, bell peppers, grapes, lemons, oranges, apple, strawberries, pears, etc. in your diet is just great for weight loss.
- Common Healthy Spices – They contribute in the weight reduction process though to a certain extent. Some healthy spices that you can use while preparing food are cumin seeds, turmeric, clove, cinnamon, black pepper, etc.
Diet Plan to Reduce Weight! Will Keep You Fit and Healthy!
When you are swimming to burn those excess calories to keep your body fit consuming unneeded calories will ruin your swim workout plan. You can create the best vegetarian diet plan that has low calories, essential nutrients, satiate your hunger pangs and help in weight reduction. Here is a well-planned healthy diet plan that you can follow to lose weight.
What to have after you wake up in the morning? Start your day with any of the given options
- Lemon juice mixed with a glass of lukewarm water
- Honey and lemon juice added to lukewarm water
- 1 cup of black coffee or black tea or green tea without sugar
Time for breakfast! But, don’t know what to eat. Here are some food options for you
- Rotis with lentil gravy
- Brown bread and skimmed milk
- Oats/cornflakes with fruits or sprouts and skimmed milk
It’s mid-morning and your stomach is asking for more! What to eat? Any of the following options will satisfy your hunger
- A handful of peanuts/ melon seeds/ almonds and black coffee/tea/juice
- Half cup cucumber/melon and carrot salad
Thinking to have something heavy for lunch? Absolutely not! You have to limit your calories intake. Have a look at what you can eat during lunch time
- 2 rotis without oil, half cup vegetable gravy, dal, low fat curd and green salad
- 1 cup brown rice with half cup vegetable gravy, mixed vegetable salad and low fat curd
- 1 roti, half cup brown rice, vegetable gravy, salad and low fat curd
Always use low fat oil for cooking vegetables. If any of the above options does not satiate your hunger, have clear soup before having lunch.
You will definitely feel like munching or drinking something in the evening. Go for any of these options
- Green tea with some light calorie biscuits
- Half cup oats. Cook with skimmed milk
Before you go to sleep to relax your straining body and mind, having a healthy dinner is a must. Finish your day with any of these options
- Soup, 2 rotis with veggies and salad
- Soup, a bowl of oats or 3 brown bread slices with veggies and salad
Swimmers have to drink adequate water, at least a cup of fluid with each meal. Snacking throughout the day is also important. When practicing for more than an hour, consume any sports drink to replace the lost carbohydrates.
Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian in history once said “I think goals should never be easy, they should force you to work, even if they are uncomfortable at the time”. When maintaining a stringent low-fat, high fibrous vegetarian diet plan becomes difficult along with your swimming routine and you feel “Too much! Can’t follow anymore!” remember the saying of this great Olympian and get going. In the long run, you will surely see the healthy diet mantra working for your body and the end result will be “an active, swim fit, healthy body.”